CIRE Equity is an entrepreneurial, growth-oriented company focused on creating and preserving wealth through targeted investments in commercial real estate in the Western United States.
We are passionate about real estate, dedicated to hard work, and strive for excellence in everything we do. We value our employees and aim to create a fun, merit-based environment that encourages hard work, creative thinking, and high-quality performance. We foster persistent improvement and seek like-minded individuals who share our attention to detail and passion for excellence to join our growing team.
What Makes CIRE Special
At CIRE Equity, we want our employees to be successful, and we believe that a large part of our success is aligned around our unique core values that form our cultural DNA.
Relentless Cultivation of Our Potential
Executing Beyond Expectations
Innovative Thinking to Produce Value
Building Relationships Through Sincere Interactions
We value our team member’s emotional intelligence and awareness more than just technical skills because we believe creating a safe place to share openly and receive direct feedback leads to higher functioning teams and resilience to overcome any challenge. We work hard and play harder, celebrating company success as a team.
Purpose Of Position
Reporting to the Assistant Controller, a successful candidate will produce accurate, timely, and complete financial reporting and perform full-cycle accounting for assigned commercial real estate entities. Property Accountant will interact and collaborate with property and asset management teams, vendors, and/or tenants to enhance investor confidence and facilitate asset appreciation.
- Complete day-to-day accounting functions of assigned properties.
- Review A/P invoice coding for accuracy in Nexus.
- Consult with property staff on the general ledger coding for payables, tenant improvements, cash receipts applications, and budget variances.
- Ensure all appropriate reviews and approvals are completed prior to processing data into the accounting system.
- Prepare journal entries for insurance, property taxes, monthly mortgage payments, accrual/prepaid expenses, and depreciation/amortization expenses.
- Record and reconcile intercompany fees and intercompany receivable/payable accounts.
- Maintain fixed asset and leasing commission schedules for tax preparer.
- Reconcile all balance sheet accounts, including bank accounts, receivables, impounds, mortgages, and equity accounts.
- Proactively review income statement trend ledgers and general ledger details monthly to ensure accuracy; identify inconsistencies, make necessary adjustments, and discuss inconsistencies with the asset/property manager, if needed.
- Perform month-end and year-end closing.
- Closely monitor lender reserve accounts and prepare lender draws when appropriate.
- Calculate and enter monthly contract item accruals such as janitorial, security, engineering, and utility expenses to match expenses to the period incurred, and review trial balance for reversing the same entries in the next accounting period.
- Job cost accounting functions, including setting up jobs in MRI & Nexus, verifying job cost codes for accuracy, setting up budgets and commitments for jobs in MRI, and reviewing job cost reports for accuracy.
- Prepare periodic reporting to lenders and investors.
- Review and prepare internal reporting packages for asset and property management.
- Prepare revenue reconciliation for assigned properties.
- Prepare monthly budget vs. actual variance analysis for assigned properties.
- Prepare quarter-over-quarter variance trend analysis.
- Review documents such as lease documentation, tenant billing, move-out, and cash receipts substantiating business transactions.
- Prepare Rent Statements and distribute them to the field to ensure the following month’s recurring charges and past due charges are accurate.
- Review tenant aging reports monthly, ensuring all payments are applied to outstanding charges, and investigate/address any unusual balances. Alert and collaborate with property management in collection efforts.
- Research and answer Property Managers’ questions regarding tenant statements.
- Review work such as tenant credit memos, non-recurring tenant billings, and questionable cash receipts.
- Prepare tenant account analysis and reconciliations when tenants dispute charges.
- Process tenant refunds and deliver them to the Accounts Payable department.
- Review weekly cash position for assigned properties and proactively alert asset manager of pending cash issues.
- Prepare, file, and pay property taxes, state income taxes, and privilege taxes for assigned properties and LLCs.
- Assist with annual CAM reconciliations and proceeding years’ estimated CAM reconciliations.
- Provide annual actual expenses for CAM reconciliations and make GL adjustments as needed.
- Support Assistant Controller with preparation of year-end audit, tax work papers, and supporting documentation for tax return.
- Participate in identifying and resolving problems and inconsistencies, recommending appropriate corrective procedures.
- Monthly privilege tax filings.
- Monthly credit card reconciliations.
- Perform other duties as requested or as responsibilities needed.
Reporting Structure: The position reports directly to the Assistant Controller
Vital Goals/Performance Measurements
- Timely and accurate property accounting and reporting.
- Timely and accurate reconciliation of property bank and balance sheet accounts.
- Proactively review financial statements and tenant aging reports for accuracy and proactively address any errors or inconsistencies.
- Ensure safe keeping of documents using electronic filing for ease of access.
- Initiate annual budget and interim property forecasting.
- Prepare, file, and pay property taxes, state income taxes, and Privilege Tax timely and accurately.
Job Requirements and Competencies
- Minimum 3-5 years’ full cycle accounting experience.
- Experience with MRI or a similar accounting system is required.
- Commercial Real Estate experience is required.
- REIT/fund accounting experience is preferred but not required.
- Solid accounting principles and processes.
- Intermediate to expert capabilities utilizing Excel.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, solid attention to detail, high accuracy, and decision-making required.
- Strong focus on customer interaction and satisfaction; ability to maintain and establish effective relationships with internal and external customers.
- Ability to plan, work independently, and manage priorities against key deadlines within a fast-paced environment.
- Clear written and verbal communication
- Location: Flexible – United States / Los Angeles / Southern California Preferred
- Work Environment: The company currently works primarily remotely; however, the company reserves the right to bring people back into the office settings. If hired outside of Los Angeles, San Diego, and Phoenix, this position would be excluded from that requirement.
- Compensation: Base Salary: Based on experience. CIRE offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision/life insurance, retirement (including company profit share potential), EAP, an annual bonus program, and much more.