CIRE Equity is an entrepreneurial, growth-oriented company focused on the creation and preservation of wealth through targeted investments in commercial real estate in the Western United States.
We are passionate about real estate, dedicated to hard work and strive for excellence in everything that we do. We value our employees and aim to create a fun, merit-based environment that encourages hard work, creative thinking, and high-quality performance. We foster persistent improvement, and we are seeking likeminded individuals who share our attention to detail and passion for excellence to join our growing team.
Purpose Of Position
Reporting to Vice President of Finance, a successful candidate will produce accurate, timely and complete financial reporting and perform full cycle accounting for assigned commercial real estate entities. The Property Accountant will interact and collaborate with property and asset management teams, vendors and/or tenants to enhance investor confidence and facilitate asset appreciation.
- Complete day to day accounting functions of assigned properties.
- Review A/P invoice coding for accuracy in Nexus.
- Consult with property staff as to general ledger coding for payables, tenant improvements, cash receipts applications, and budget variances.
- Ensure all appropriate reviews and approvals were completed prior to processing data into accounting system.
- Prepare journal entries for insurance, property taxes, monthly mortgage payments, accrual/prepaid expenses, and depreciation/amortization expenses.
- Record and reconcile intercompany fees and intercompany receivable/payable accounts.
- Maintain fixed asset and leasing commission schedules for tax preparer.
- Reconcile all balance sheet accounts including bank accounts, receivable, impound, mortgages, and equity accounts.
- Proactively review income statement trend ledgers and general ledger details monthly to ensure accuracy; identify inconsistencies, make necessary adjustments, and review with asset/property manager, if needed.
- Perform month-end and year-end closing.
- Closely monitor lender reserve accounts and prepare lender draws when appropriate.
- Calculate and enter monthly contract item accruals such as janitorial, security, engineering, and utility expenses to match expenses to period incurred, and review trial balance for reversing of same entries in next accounting period
- Job cost accounting functions including setting up jobs in MRI & Nexus, verify job cost codes for accuracy, setting up budgets and commitments for job in MRI, and reviewing job cost reports for accuracy.
- Prepare periodic reporting to lenders and investors.
- Review and prepare internal reporting package for asset and property management.
- Prepare monthly budget vs actual variance analysis for assigned properties.
- Review documents such as lease documentation, tenant billing, move out and cash receipts substantiating business transactions.
- Prepare Rent Statements and distributes to field to ensure following month’s recurring charges and past due charges are accurate.
- Review tenant aging report monthly ensuring all payments are applied to outstanding charges and investigate/address any unusual balances. Alert and collaborate with property management in collection efforts.
- Research and answer Property Managers’ questions regarding tenant statements.
- Review work such as tenant credit memos, non-recurring tenant billings and questionable cash receipts.
- Prepare tenant account analysis and reconciliations when tenants dispute charges.
- Process tenant refunds and deliver to Accounts Payable department.
- Review weekly cash position for assigned properties and proactively alert asset manager of pending cash issues.
- Prepare, file and pay property taxes, state income taxes, and privilege taxes for assigned properties and LLC’s.
- Assist with annual CAM reconciliations and proceeding years estimated CAM reconciliations.
- Provide annual actual expenses for CAM reconciliations and make GL adjustments as needed.
- Support Assistant Controller with preparation of year-end audit and tax workpapers.
- Participate in identifying and resolving problems and inconsistencies, recommending appropriate corrective procedures.
- Monthly privilege tax filings and credit card reconciliations.
- Perform other duties and projects as assigned.
- Possess a self-motivated, analytical, inquisitive, and passionate mind set.
- Possess a demonstrated knowledge base of accounting principles and processes.
- Effective analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to plan, work independently, and manage priorities against key deadlines within a fast-paced environment.
- Possess a customer service orientation with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external customers.
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal.
Job Experience Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in accountancy or equivalent.
- Minimum 3 years’ full cycle accounting experience.
- Experience with MRI or similar accounting system required.
- Commercial Real Estate experience and REIT accounting experience preferred but not required.
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills, including advanced proficiency with Microsoft Excel (accounting functions, data analysis, etc.) and Word.
- Position reports directly to the Assistant Controller and secondarily reports to the Executive Vice President of Accounting.
Vital Goals/Performance Measurements
- Timely and accurate property accounting and reporting.
- Timely and accurately reconciliation of property bank and balance sheet accounts.
- Proactively review financial statements and tenant aging report for accuracy and proactively address any errors or inconsistencies.
- Ensure safe keeping of documents using electronic filing for ease of access
- Initiate annual budget and interim property forecasting
- Timely and accurate prepare, file and pay property taxes, state income taxes and Privilege Tax.
- Location: Desired location is in San Diego County, though candidates in the greater Los Angeles, CA and Phoenix, AZ areas are also encouraged to apply.
- Work Environment: the company is currently working primarily remote, however is planning to have people back in the office in some capacity as pandemic restrictions ease. The company is evaluating flexible work arrangements long-term, though candidates should expect to spend some portion of their work time in the office.