Nareit has released its Q3 REIT Performance Report showing that REITs continued to make gains. Some key findings include:
- In the third quarter of 2021, the FTSE Nareit All Equity REIT Index continued to generate positive returns, rising 0.23% in Q3 after a 12.03% increase in Q2.
- The top performing REIT sectors on a YTD basis at the end of Q3 included:
- Self Storage – up 39.1%
- Residential – up 36.29%
- Apartments – up 40.50%
- Single Family Homes – up 30.10%
- Manufactured Homes – up 24.97%
- Retail – up 32.11%
- Regional Malls – up 56.55%
- Shopping Centers – up 45.51%
- Free Standing – up 7.65%
- Specialty – up 28.29%
- Industrial – up 21.96%
REIT performance by sector can be seen in the chart below:
- REITs conducted 57 equity and debt offerings in Q3 2021 raising $24.3 billion, including
- $8.38 billion in common shares
- $1.98 billion in preferred shares
- $13.38 billion in secondary debt offerings
- The FTSE Nareit All Equity REITs Index reported a dividend yield of 3.18% in Q3, more than double the 1.32% dividend yield paid by the S&P 500.
- In Q3, year to date there were $54 billion in M&A deals (pending or completed),
- $38 billion of which is attributed to REIT-to-REIT transactions
- $16 billion of which represents privatizations.
The entire Q3 report can accessed here .